Are you a member of a Homeowners Association (HOA)? Are you unsure of the type of insurance that the members of the Homeowner’s Association carry, or should carry? Worry no more–here at National Property Management Group, a property management group serving Santa Clarita, we want to help you to understand what insurance you should carry as a member of a Homeowners Association!
You should always call on the Homeowners Association’s insurance provider if you are considering purchasing your own policy, or when you are reducing or increasing the deductible or coverage. In order to protect your interests in the actual association, the following types of insurance should be presently held by the association (the insurance requirements will vary according to the type of property and the specific legal documents):
- Property damage policies that cover fire
- General liability insurance for common areas that may cause injuries
- Errors and Omissions/Directors and Officers – this is to cover any questionable business judgments that are made by the board
- Workers compensation, which will protect from any financial liability that is caused by an injury to any workers
- Fidelity bond which protects against the theft of any of the money held by the association
- Earthquake insurance, which is options but important if you are in an area prone to earthquakes
- Flood insurance, which is also optional
There are some HOAs that will not require any type of workers compensation policies, since they may not be paying any employees; this typically applies to any smaller homeowner associations.
If you are unsure of the type of insurance that your association should have, make sure that you talk with your property manager. The property manager should be able to help you understand the ins and outs of what is needed, which will ensure that everything is properly covered in case an unforeseen incident occurs.
If you have more questions about insurance for your Homeowners Association in Santa Clarita, contact National Property Management Group today for more information.
National Property Management Group
28009 Smyth Drive
Valencia, CA 91355