As Southern California temperatures rise and the climate dries out, residents face an increased risk of fires starting and spreading. Major wildfires destroy acres of land practically every year in Southern California, often burning and damaging homes along the way. National Property Management Group is Southern California’s expert on property management, while also providing information and resources to protect homeowners and their property in Santa Clarita and surrounding areas.
There are many preventative steps that homeowners can take in order to reduce the risk of fires starting and spreading. National Property Management Group has a list of some basic things you can do to make your home fireproof, and ensure the safety of you and your family.
- Fire Extinguisher: This simple addition to any fire prone areas of the home, such as the kitchen, can make a world of a difference! Small fires in the home can quickly get out of control and pose a threat to the entire property.
- Smoke Alarms: Installing smoke alarms are the first line of defense, alerting you of any fires. However, it is critical to check the batteries at least twice a year to ensure the alarm is powered.
- Fireproof carpeting and upholstery: Having fire resistant carpets and upholstery reduces the chances of starting a fire, and slows the progression if one were to start.
- Appliances: Be wise when using multiple appliances, as you don’t want to overload the wiring and start electrical fires. Regularly check the appliances to ensure there are no damages or worn out parts.
- Home Exterior: During the dry and warm season, make sure to remove the extra shrub and debris lying outside your home. Using rock landscaping features help with a protective barrier, and spraying the house exterior with a hose helps reduce the chances of a fire spreading or starting around your home.
There are many tricks to make your home fireproof and reduce the possibility of a fire spreading to your home in Southern California. For more resources contact National Property Management Group in Santa Clarita, or you can visit our website.
National Property Management Group
28009 Smyth Drive
Valencia, CA 91355